Weekly Wymorean dated December
15, 1900 The Library has completed the first year of its history.
The report shows an attendance of 10,296 visitors. Number of
books in library, 478 bound, 36 unbound, 8 periodicals are being
received regularly. Number of loans made 1282. Amount collected
during the year was $595.75, all of which was expended for expenses,
etc. The librarian's salary was $180.00. Laurie M. L. Vance is
Arbor State dated November
1955 The first library in Wymore was located in the Greenwood
building, part of where the dance hall is now, over the bank,
and Mrs. L. L. Vance was librarian. That was back in the early
Greenwood Building (corner with flag)
Sometime later it was
moved over Pennington store. (This
store was a general store housed in a L shaped building that
wrapped around the bank building located where the Dollar Store
resides today. The library was on the second floor on the F Street
section of the building. This library was destroyed, along with
with the bank in the 1914 fire)
2nd library location
Records of the first minutes
at meetings of the next library board were dated January, 1917,
at which time there were nine members on the board. No reference
was made as to having a librarian.
In January, 1917, members
of the Fortnightly Club wrote a letter to the Carnegie
Foundation concerning the building of a library. The foundation
provided a grant for construction of the library and donated
several children's books. The gavel that the club used to call
meetings to order is at the Library along with several of the
wooden rocking chairs that belonged to the Fortnightly ladies.
In April, 1917, plans for
the new building were discussed and A. W. Grant of Beatrice was
accepted as architect to draw the plans. In May, 1917, Mr. Grant's
plans were accepted by the board and referred to the Carnegie
Foundation for approval.
At first it was agreed that
the library was to be built in the Burlington park or Rawlings
Park until Mr. Whitson offered to donate the present site which
was accepted by the board. Work was started on the building in
Nov. 1917 and the new library was opened on May 15, 1919. Miss
Lulu Williams was elected librarian. Library hours were to be
2:30 to 5:30 in the afternoon and 7:00 to 9:00 in the evenings.
Fines were 2c per day and magazines had to be more than two months
old to be checked out.
The Friends of Wymore Library
(FOWL) was established in 1979 and the Wymore Library Foundation
was established in 1996.
In the spring of 1999 an
anonymous donor put forth a gift for the purpose of building
an addition to the Library. Ground was broken for the addition
on Oct. 12, 2000, in August 2002 the Library moved into their
addition. The Library is now fully handicapped accessible, complete
with an elevator.
In 2000 the Library Foundation's first annual "Celebrate
Your Library Banquet" was held.
With a generous gift by the Jones Families, the Library Board
and Foundation were pleased to offer the genealogy room to the
Family in 2003. The room was named the John S. and Ann Lloyd
Jones Memorial Heritage Room.
The dedication for a Memorial Garden was held during Sam Wymore
Days in 2004. Landscaping was completed at this time, which included
an underground watering system. The Library is considered "quite
a show place."
some excerpts of the above
text were taken from the
Diamond Jubilee 1881-1956
WYMORE PUBLIC LIBRARY
Wymore Public Library is
one of the two accredited Libraries in Gage County, the other
being in Beatrice. The Library is accredited through the Nebraska
Library Commission, with the Library Director and Library Board
being certified through the Commission. The Board, chosen by
the City of Wymore, governs the Library. The City of Wymore oversees
the budget. Carnegie Library and Wymore Public Library Librarians
and their years of service are as follows; LuLu Williams 1919-1920,
Gladys Pirie 1920-1948, Pauline Ragan 1948-1979, Jane Rudder
1979-1996, Jackie Nicholson 1996-2003 and Janet Roberts 2003-present.
The Library is more than
just a building with "books". At the present time there
are books (paperback, soft cover, hardback, fiction, non-fiction,
large print and reference) but also there are magazines, videos,
patterns, puzzles, audio books and newspapers.
The Library is fully automated with bar-coded checkout and check-in
and a computerized catalogue. There are computers, 9 that are
Internet ready, 3 used in the children's area for games and a
catalogued search computer for patron use.
The Heritage Room houses newspapers on microfilm, a microfilm
reader, printer/copier, computer access to area cemetery records,
the Internet, local and family histories. FOWL uses this room
as their research headquarters for obituary and family requests.
They have purchased the equipment used for researching with membership
drives, monthly book and bake sales, luncheons/teas, research
donations and memorials.
There are meeting and reading areas throughout the Library.
Books are also inter-library loaned through the Nebraska Library
Commission and libraries throughout the United States. Small
collections of large print books are rotated from the Beatrice
Public Library monthly.
The Library also goes beyond
the walls of the Library. We venture out to local Day Care facilities
and Head Start Programs. The Library has their own story time
for preschool children and Summer Reading weekly in June and
July. Books are taken to the Senior Diners every other week,
the Good Samaritan Center and home deliveries upon request.
The services provided by
the Library are services that all accredited libraries would
like to be able to furnish to it's patrons, but these are only
possible through bequests, endowments and hard work of the people
wishing to support, preserve and make their Public Library progressive.